Sunday 24 June 2012

At Wanemaker's and Sak's and Klein's

The Mission has been full of people lately. A few people stopped coming, but a few started as well. I feel as though we are truly helping people find God. Of course, everyone's beliefs are slightly different, but I have faith that God can help anyone find their way, no matter what.
 

I bumped into Miss Adelaide again today. At first I did not recognize her, but we started a conversation and I remembered. It seems her engagement, which had her so happy a few days ago, had been broken. She seemed absolutely heartbroken. I tried to comfort her, but I had no luck. She was too distraught about wasting fourteen years with this man, and what she would tell her mother. Her pain reminded me of my own, and I'm embarrassed to say that I began to cry. She gave me a hug, which was comforting. 
We were pondering whether men could ever change when I pointed out that the gamblers at our prayer meeting acted like they could change. At this news, Adelaide jumped up and asked if a man named Nathan Detroit was there. We was, of course, so I told her so. I will never forget her response to this. She said, "That dirty rat! Just when he should've been lying, he's telling the truth!" How amusing. I think she and I will become good friends! 
She then had an idea. Why not marry the man today? Rather than sigh and sorrow, simply marry him today and change his ways tomorrow. Her explanation was, "At Wanamaker's and Sak's and Klein's, you can't get alterations on a dress you haven't bought!" 
Of course, she's right. A man won't be willing to change without commitment. Adelaide and I are confident that we can get Nathan and Sky on the right track. We have decided that in three days' time, we will talk to them and apologize for severing our relationships. I'm nervous. What if he hates me? What if he doesn't want to go steady with me? I will pray that is not the case.


Wish me luck,
-Miss Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment